A nonoverlapping domain decomposition technique applied to a finite difference method is presented for the numerical solution of the forward backward heat equation in the case of one-dimension. While the previous at tempts in dealing with this problem have been based on an iterative domain decomposition scheme, the current work avoids iterations. Also a physical matching condition is suggested to avoid difficulties caused by the interface boundary nodes. Furthermore, we obtain a square system of equations. In addition, the convergence and stability of the proposed method are investi gated. Some numerical experiments are given to show the effectiveness of the proposed method.
Forward-backward heat equation;, Nonoverlapping domain decomposition;, Finite difference;, Noniterative method.
2. Aziz, A.K. and Liu, J.L. A Galerkin method for the forward-backward heat equation, Math. Comp. 56 (1991), 35–44.
3. Aziz, A.K. and Liu, J.L. A weighted least squares method for the backward forward heat equation, SIAM J. Numer. Anal. 28 (1991), 156–167.
4. Banei, S. and Shanazari, K. A meshfree method with a non-overlapping domain decomposition method based on TPS for solving the forward-backward heat equation in two-dimension, Numer. Algorithms. (forthcoming).
5. Boulton, L., Marletta, M. and Rule, D. On the stability of a forward backward heat equation, Integral Equations Operator Theory 73(2) (2012), 195–216.
6. Cheng, X.L. and Sun, J. Iterative methods for the forward-backward heat equation, J. Comput. Math. 23 (2005), 419–424.
7. Daoud, D. S. Overlapping Schwarz waveform relaxation method for the solution of the forward-backward heat equation, J. Comput. Appl. Math. 208(2) (2007), 380–390.
8. Dawson, C.N., Du, Q. and Dupont, T.F. A Finite difference domain decomposition algorithm for numerical solution of the heat equation, Math. Comp. 57 (1991), 63–71.
9. French, D.A. Discontinuous Galerkin finite element methods for a forward backward heat equation, Appl. Numer. Math. 28 (1998), 37–44.
10. French, D.A. Continuous Galerkin finite element methods for a forward backward heat equation, Numer. Methods Partial Differential Equations 15 (1999), 257–265.
11. Friedrichs, K.O. Symmetric positive differential equations, Comm. Pure Appl. Math. 11 (1958), 333–418.
12. Goldstein, J.A. and Mazumdar, T. A heat equation in which the diffusion coefficient changes sign, J. Math. Anal. Appl. 103 (1984), 533–564.
13. Han H.D. and Yin, D.S. A non-overlap domain decomposition method for the forward-backward heat equation, J. Comput. Appl. Math. 159 (2003), 35–44.
14. Kuznetsov, I.V. Traces of entropy solutions to second order forward backward parabolic equations, J. Math. Sci. (N.Y.) 211(6) (2015), 767–788.
15. Kuznetsov, I.V. Kinetic formulation of forward-backward parabolic equations, Sib. lektron. Mat. Izv. 13 (2016), 930–949.
16. Lu, H. Galerkin and weighted Galerkin methods for a forward-backward heat equation, Numer. Math. 75 (1997), 338–356.
17. Lu, H. and Maubach, J. A finite element method and variable transformations for a forward-backward heat equation, Numer. Math. 81 (1998), 249–272.
18. Lu, H. Wen, Z-Y. Solution of a forward-backward heat equation. Technical report, 9439, Department of Mathematics, University of Nijmegen, The Netherlands, 1994.
19. Paronetto, F. A remark on forward-backward parabolic equations, Appl. Anal. 98(6) (2017), 1042–1051.
20. Paronetto, F. Elliptic approximation of forward-backward parabolic equations, Commun. Pur. Appl. Anal. 19(2) (2020), 1017–1036.
21. Smith, G.D. Numerical solution of partial differential equation, Oxford University Press, 3rd ed. 1985.
22. Sun, J. Numerical schemes for the forward-backward heat equation, Int. J. Comput. Math. 87(3) (2010), 552–564.
23. Sun, J. and Cheng, X.L. Iterative methods for a forward-backward heat equation in two-dimension, Appl. Math. J. Chinese Univ. Ser. B 25(1) (2010), 101–111.
24. Vanaja, V. and Kellogg, R.B. Iterative methods for a forward-backward heat equation, SIAM J. Numer. Anal. 27 (1990), 622–635.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.